Under Public Act 97-1157, non-visa status individuals who cannot obtain a social security card may apply for a TVDL.
General Information about the new TVDL program for non-visa status individuals:
- TVDL may be used for driving purposes only, not valid for identification
- TVDL is valid for three years.
- Applications accepted at designated facilities only.
- Appointments accepted at designated faciliites only.
- Appointments are required.
- TVDL will be printed and mailed to the applicant after the application is verified.
- Applicants may not drive until they receive their TVDLin the mail.
- TVDLs only available for driver's license class D, L, or M (car or motorcycle)
- Applicants may bring an interpreter to assist with the application process.
- Fee to apply for TVDL is $30 (+5 for motorcycle).
- Applicants required to completea Verification of Residency Form.
- Applicants required to pass the vision, written and road exams.
- Illinois TVDL may not be accepted for driving in other states.
- TVDL only valid if driver has current liability insurance.